Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Your own cheering section...

Sometimes finding motivation to get out there and exercise can be hard. You know you should, you know it's good for you, yet you just don't always feel like it. You've signed up for a race, but it just isn't in you to get out there and do it. The weather sucks, your kids are wanting your attention, there are dishes to do, and haven't you been meaning to paint the bathroom. There are more excuses than you can think of, so what do you do when you are just not feeling the oomph to get out there and do something.

Find your own cheering section. Once you have your goal, find someone else to go on the journey with you. In my case, I'm planning a year with a few triathlons in it. To date, I have only ever completed one triathlon. It was great, I loved it. I loved the variety of training it had to offer. Now though, I'm hoping to do a few more. But, I'd like to find some other people to do them too. I want to surround myself with others who have the goal of completing a triathlon. I want other people to be there cheering me on, while I cheer them on. I want to reach this goal with some friends. I want someone to chat with about the type of shorts I might wear in the water that also work for the bike and the run. I want to get another opinion from a big chested girl on whether or not it's worth it to have the sportsbra with me and if I should wear it in the water or put in on in transition. I want to be nervous about swimming in open water with someone else who is nervous about it too.

So, I'm looking for other people ready to face the challenge. There are a few people who have expressed an interest and I'm looking forward to learning with them. I'm excited to get to know them better as we train for similar goals. And if I'm surrounded by other people that also want to give this crazy triathlon stuff a try, then I should be more motivated to get moving myself. And, if not, then, at least I've got new year's resolutions to fall back on, and it's almost time to come up with a few of them for the year... but more on that in a couple of days...

No comments:

Post a Comment