Thursday, July 28, 2011

Feeling worthy...

It's funny, I don't always feel as though I'm good enough. I mean, I know lots of people that think I'm crazy because I have done the occasional running race or triathlon (okay, maybe more than a few, but still). These people seem to think I'm active and almost athletic like. If I try and find someone who will run with me, these same people tell me about how they could never keep up, they are too slow, they are just starting to run etc. But here's the thing, I wouldn't ask, if I didn't want the company!!

Yet, when the shoe is on the other foot, and someone who is much faster than me wants to go running, I'm always quick to opt out apologizing for my snail's pace and inability to keep up with such an athlete. But, they wouldn't be asking if they didn't want the company!!

So why is it that we always under estimate our potential or someone's desire for our company. Why is it we aren't worthy? My husband just got back from a weekend of training for ironman, and despite the fact that he swam over 2km, biked over 170km and ran over 30km, he still told me he felt like he was a fat overweight guy with no athletic abilities. How is it society has allowed us to feel this way? How is okay that we feel this way? It might seem silly, but it's very real!!

If someone wants your company, it's because they don't want to run alone, or bike alone. So, join them!! They wouldn't ask otherwise, and they will go your pace because it's the company they crave, not the speed!! Just believe in yourself, and what you are doing. At the end of the day, you are out there doing, and that alone, makes you worthy!! It's not about the speed, but about the journey. So, get out there, with whomever it is that wants your company. You will be glad you did. And hey, at the end of the day, you'll have been out there doing, rather than on the sidelines just watching. It's in you!! Now go out and be the amazing athlete that you are, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment