Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Less than 8 weeks to the half marathon...

So with less than 8 weeks until the Okanagan Half Marathon, I thought it was perhaps time for some little hints and tips to help out people who might be preparing for their first half marathon, marathon, 10km, 5km, or just for people wanting some inspiration or ideas to enjoy the rest of their training. Sometimes it helps to just get you out the door.

I am no expert. I am only a runner who tries to finish. I do have lots of experience behind me, but what works for me, might not work for you, so take these words for what they are worth and do what you need to, to get yourself to the finish line.

Over the next eight weeks I will try and offer something every day to inspire you to get to your race and finish it strong.

For today, just remember that training for a race is the journey that gets you to the end, and it's important to enjoy the journey. Make sure you are putting your runs near the top of your priorities. This is especially important for people with lots of other responsibilities (ie moms, people with lots of other commitments etc). If finishing is important to you, then putting in time ahead of the race must be important to you as well. These runs help make sure you finish strong and safely. And it's not a chore, at least it shouldn't be. Here's a new way to look at your training runs.

A training run is a chance to be out on your own, away from everything that is pulling you in a hundred different directions. Running is "me time". Running is a chance to catch up with a friend. If you are running alone, it's a chance to think. One of my favourite running quotes was from an ad, not sure what it was for, likely shoes or something similar. It was "the longer I run, the smaller my problems become". And really, as you run, suddenly all the issues in your life get jostled around and sorted and by the time you are finished, you nearly always feel okay about life. Running keeps you active. Running helps you lose weight. Running is a chance to feel your body in motion and enjoy the fact that you are helping your heart stay strong. Running is a chance to meet other like minded people. Running helps you be an active person. Running makes your body crave food that is good for it. Running let's you enjoy nature. Running on a misty rainy day is relaxing. Running in fresh fallen snow and peaceful and serene. Running on a hot day makes you truly enjoy a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade. Running gives you an excuse to buy fun clothes to run in.

Running offers so much and more than anything it keeps you active. I love that about running. I can throw on a pair of shoes, and be out the door in about five minutes (ten if I want to have my ipod too). And, I can be back in 30 minutes, having put in a decent workout. It's the most bang for your buck in terms of time. When life gets busy, that part is so important. So, make sure you find the time to put in your runs, because it's about so much more than the run itself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment