Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Should I "tri"?

So this past weekend, my husband and I volunteered at the Ironman Calgary 70.3. It was fun. We got to help set up Transition 2, where the athletes go from their bikes into the run. It was neat. I was blown away by the logistics involved in triathlons. I mean truly, it is just amazing!! It was great. On race day, we went and cheered for the athletes on the bike section. It was fun. We had posters with us: "You are my hero" and "looking mighty fine". I loved the reactions we got, from the thumbs up to the smiles to the waves, etc. It was great.

Being a part of this event though, really sparked a desire in me to do a triathlon. Don't get me wrong, that desire has always been there, but my dread of the swimming portion has always been stronger than my desire to do it. Yet, for some reason, now I'm realizing I should just go ahead and give it a shot. What do I have to lose? Time to suck it up and try.

Someday I want to do an ironman. Not sure exactly when, but was sort of thinking when I was in my forties. Now though, I am wondering why I am waiting until then. Am I using that as my reason for not starting? What if something happened and I never made it to forty or was unable to do it for some reason at forty, Would I always regret that I never went ahead with it?

I think I might try and go swimming this week, just to see. And then I will set my "tri" plans in motion. First up is a beginner race, then I will put in my name for the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. It's on my list of things I really want to do, so what is holding me back?? Time to go ahead and start putting these dreams into motion...

No comments:

Post a Comment